‘I don’t
know how to explain it without it sounding silly,’ she said.
‘Do
you think it’s silly?’ I asked.
‘No!’
she said. ‘I think it’s wonderful.’
‘So,
why should it sound silly?’ I asked.
‘I
just don’t feel like things are any different than they were before,’ she said.
‘Do
you think things should be different?’ I asked.
‘People
expect things to be different so I feel silly to mention it since they aren’t
any different,’ she said.
‘Do
you not want to tell people?’ I asked.
‘I
do want to because I’m very happy,’ she said. ‘But I don’t want to tell them if
they are going think it’s silly.’
‘I
don’t think anyone can take anything away from it,’ I said.
‘I
know and I want to tell people,’ she said, ‘but I don’t want to tell them if
they’re not going to get it because it’ll make me sad.’
‘How
will they not get it?’ I asked.
‘Maybe
they will think you don’t really care because you didn’t make a big thing out
of it,’ she said, ‘or they will think I don’t really care because I don’t feel
like things are any different now.’
After
this there was a pause and I waited for her to say more but then I realized
that the call had dropped. I redialed but I got a busy tone because she was dialing
me. I tried twice more and then I stopped and a moment later my phone rang.
‘We’re
getting 20 percent now,’ she said.
We
had registered for a calling plan that gave certain discounts based on the day
and time and location of the call. We were spending enormous amounts of money
on airtime since she had moved to Zwedru and it had become our habit to start
each call by announcing the discount even though it never influenced the
duration.
‘Do
you wish I had made a big thing out of it?’ I asked.
‘No.
I like how you did it,’ she said, ‘and it’s not a big thing to me except
everyone expects it to be.’
‘So
you like the way it is and you want to tell people about it but you don’t want
to tell them because you think they will think it’s silly even though it’s
exactly how you want it to be?’ I asked.
‘Yes!’
she said. ‘That’s it exactly.’
‘You’re
exhausting!’ I said.
She moaned and I continued.
‘Really
I think you’re comparing apples to oranges,’ I said.
‘What
do you mean?’ she said.
‘We
all need excitement, right?’ I said.
‘Sure.’
‘I think it’s very hard to do exciting
things because it takes lots of time and effort and certainly courage – like
that friend of yours that’s mountain biking through Rwanda. I think it’s a lot
easier to create excitement out of celebrating what we already have. Does that
make sense?’
‘I guess it does,’ she said.
‘For
me, I want us to celebrate what we have done – together,’ I said. ‘And I want
us to make a life that will have plenty of things to celebrate.’
‘That’s what I want,’ she said. ‘I want us
to have many, many doing things to celebrate. That’s what I’ve always wanted.’
‘Good,’ I said. ‘So maybe that’s why you
don’t feel like it’s a big deal and nothing has changed.’
‘Ok,
love,’ she said. ‘I’m with you on it.’
The line was silent. I thought she was
thinking more about it was actually that the mobile phone network had cut into
her end of the line.
‘It’s telling me I only have one minute
left! Call me back! Call me back!’ she said and she immediately hung up.
I dialed her number and she answered before
I heard the first ring.
‘You know you have a whole minute left when
the message cuts in. You don’t have to be in such a rush,’ I said.
‘I know. I like to save it in case I need
it before I have a chance to load new airtime,’ she said and without a breath
she continued. ‘So I’m with you that it’s not a big deal and on the celebrating
the doing. But what do I tell people when they ask why we’re not making a big
deal of it?’
‘Tell
them we’re oranges,’ I said.
She
thought about this and then she said, ‘Yeah, we’re oranges!’
She
thought about it for another moment and then she said, ‘But that’s not enough to
tell them.’
‘I think you’re struggling with this because
you’re trying to make our orange thing conform to an apple’s expectations,’ I
said.
‘That’s
exactly what I’m doing,’ she said. ‘I’m a closeted orange!’
‘Maybe
you are,’ I said. ‘If you try to make it conform or you make excuses for it, it
sounds like you don’t believe in it.’
‘But
I do believe in it,’ she said. ‘It’s exactly what I want it to be.’
‘I
believe you,’ I said.
‘So
what should I do?’ she said suddenly sounding very tired.
‘Tell
people or don’t tell people,’ I said. ‘Just don’t make apple sauce out of us!’
No comments:
Post a Comment